DARE TO BE PROFESSIONAL
RECRUITMENT AND SELECTION
INFORMATION FOR BURLINGTON TOWNSHIP POLICE APPLICANTS
I. Applicants must take the State of New Jersey Civil Service Commission Law Enforcement Examination to be eligible for employment. In addition the following legally mandated minimum qualifications must be met:
- Age: Not less than 18 or more than 35 years of age at the announced closing date for filing applications for an examination. Note: When applicants reach their 35Th birthday, they are considered over 35 years old. State law concerning age limitations for prospective police officers is based on the announced closing date.
- The applicant must be a United States citizen and resident of Burlington Township.
- The applicant must be a high school graduate or possess a G.E.D.
- The applicant must possess a valid driver’s license before appointment.
- The applicant must be able to pass a medical and psychological examination.
Download a copy of the Employment Application for all open positions.
II. Selection Process:
- Candidates must take the State of New Jersey Civil Service Commission Law Enforcement Examination (http://www.state.nj.us/csc/about/news/safety/index.html).
- Preliminary Screening: Resumes and applications initially will be screened to ensure that all applicants meet minimum qualifications requirements as stated in the job announcements for the position of police officer.
- Drug Screening: All candidates will be required to submit to a drug screening process which may require the submission of samples of urine and/or blood.
- Background Investigation: A comprehensive background investigation will be conducted.
- Oral Review Board: All candidates that have successfully completed all previous stages of the selection process and are being considered for employment will be subjected to an Oral Review Board.
- Medical Examinations: All candidates will be advised of the results of their medical examination, in writing, upon completion of the examination. Candidates that are disqualified during this phase will be advised in writing within 30 calendar days of the specific area causing disqualification. The medical examination will include testing for the use of unlawful drugs.
- Psychological Evaluations: Applicants will be given a battery of psychological tests. These tests will be used to evaluate and measure an applicant’s emotional stability and psychological fitness for police work. Results of all applicants’ psychological evaluations will be retained in their Confidential Applicant File.
The entire procedure is expected to last approximately 2 to 3 months in duration. At the conclusion of the selection process, you will be informed on the decision of employment.
III. Processing Procedures:
A. An applicant may be rejected for the position of Burlington Township Police Officer for the following reasons :
- Conviction for any felony or misdemeanor;
- Discharge or forced resignation from employment or documented evidence of serious job related disciplinary action;
- The use of any controlled dangerous substance (narcotic or non-narcotic) not prescribed by a licensed medical practitioner;
- Making false statements or falsifying documents during any part of the selection process.
B. This list is not intended to be all-inclusive, and the right is reserved to reject any applicant who does not meet the standards of Burlington Township Police Department.
C. Should you not be selected, you will remain on the Eligibility List for the life of the list as long as you follow the reapplication procedures. Acceptance of subsequent applications will depend on the candidate’s position on the current list.
D. Applicant must complete a twenty-plus week course at a Basic Police Academy.
E. Upon graduation of Basic Police Academy, an additional twelve weeks of Field Training must be completed.
Starting salary with annual increments is determined by the current collective bargaining agreement for your position.
You will have opportunity for promotion after three years of continuous service.
- Overtime paid at the rate of time and one-half
- Paid life insurance
- Uniform, weapons, and equipment provided by the department
- Paid vacation and sick leave
- Medical and Dental Plan
- Educational incentives
- Retirement Plan
Burlington Township Police Dept. is an Equal Opportunity Employer
851 Old York Rd.
Burlington, NJ 08016