The Burlington Township Police Department Records Bureau assists residents with the application, processing, and registration of firearms. For questions, please call (609) 239-5882 or (609) 239-5883.
The New Jersey State Police Firearms Investigation Unit utilizes the statewide Firearms Application and Registration System (FARS). The FARS system allows firearms applications to be created and submitted online using the following website: https://www.njportal.com/NJSP/fars.
July 14, 2022: Application Instructions for Permit to Carry a Handgun
NJSP Approved Shooting Ranges (for certification)
As of March 31, 2021: All Firearm Identification Cards (E-FID) and Handgun Permits (E-Permits) will be issued electronically via E-mail by the NJ Portal FARS System once approved by the Burlington Township Police Department. Applicants will have the ability to print, save, and/or screenshot their E-FID card. Licensed firearms dealers and shooting ranges will be able to accept the previous FID cards or the new E-FID cards to include screenshots. Previously issued FID cards will not expire and will be considered valid. *Please remember to come into the Burlington Township Police Department to pay applicable fees for your E-FID Card and/or Handgun Permit(s) (E-Permits).
The new online application is APPLICANT DRIVEN. If the applicant makes a mistake while applying, they simply can RE-APPLY. The applicant should understand that all application fees are non-refundable and non-transferable. The applicant MUST utilize the correct ORI number (NJ0030600) for the Burlington Township Police Department.
Step 1: To apply online, visit the following website: https://www.njportal.com/NJSP/fars. The applicant MUST enter their “Official Name”. They cannot utilize simplified versions of their names (Example: Joe vs. Joseph). Make sure that the information you place on your application is the same on your fingerprint information when making the appointment. If an application is submitted with incorrect information, the application must be re-submitted, no exceptions.
Step 2: When you log on, you must enter the Burlington Township Police Department’s ORI #: NJ0030600. Applicants using this ORI # MUST live in Burlington Township. If you're unsure which town to apply for, please contact the Burlington Township Tax Assessor's Office to verify your residency, at (609) 239-5827.
Step 3: Complete the online application. You may complete the application using a smartphone, mobile device, laptop, or desktop computer. Make note of your FARS Contributor's Case Number for use later. Be sure to check all relevant boxes for the items you are applying for. When deciding how many permits you would like to get, remember the following:
- ONE permit is required for each handgun you wish to purchase (each permit is $2.00)
- You can purchase one (1) handgun in a 30-day period
- Permits are good for up to 180 days (with auto-renewal after 90 days)
- If you decide you want another handgun permit and you didn't get more than one initially, you will need to apply again
When completing the application you will need the email addresses of two (2) reputable references. Your references may be family members if you wish. If an error is made on the reference’s email, you can call the Records Office at BTPD and they can edit it.
Step 4: Upon completing the online application, you MUST appear at the Burlington Township Police Department to pay for your initial E-FID Card and/or Handgun Purchase Permits immediately. For fees and instructions concerning payment, see details below.
Applications will NOT be processed until all applicable fees are paid. Valid ID MUST be presented. Non-refundable payment is required to be made at the time of application as per NJAC 13:54-1.4.
Step 5: Schedule an appointment with IdentoGo to be fingerprinted. Go to the website https://uenroll.identogo.com/ and enter the NJ Firearms Licensing service code "2F164B". After entering your essential information, enter the ORI# for Burlington Twp. "NJ0030600". On the next page, enter the FARS Contributor's Case Number that your received when completing the online application. If you have to re-apply for a firearms application, remember to cancel your IndentoGo appointment and re-schedule after your complete your new firearms application with your new contributor’s case number. We are unable to move fingerprints to new applications.
- You will be receiving automated email updates throughout the online process. Please do not call for status updates.
- You will have 90 days to be fingerprinted for your initial E-FID card through IdentoGo. Should you not meet this time frame, your application will be withdrawn and you will have to re-apply.
- If an INITIAL applicant applied for an FID card and forgot to apply for handgun purchase permits, the applicant must re-apply for the handgun purchase permits AFTER their initial application is processed and approved.
- Please advise your references that the FARS system will email them the reference questions to be answered. Your references can complete the questions using a smartphone, mobile device, laptop, or desktop computer. Please advise them to complete the questions immediately to progress your background investigation. If an error is made on the reference's email, you can call the Records Bureau at BTPD and they can edit it.
- The online application is applicant driven. Please ensure that you have entered the best phone number and email addresses for yourself and your references.
- After the applicant enters all required information, a review page appears where the applicant can edit all information entered into the application prior to final submission.
- The applicant should also print both the confirmation page and application at the end of the process. This is for quick reference in the event of an issue.
- Reminder, you will receive your E-FID Card and Handgun Permits (E-Permits) via email from the NJ Portal FARS System once your application is approved.
- For additional firearms regulations and procedural information please visit the New Jersey State Police website.
Firearms Fee Schedule
- Applications for Firearms Identification Card (E-FID) (STS-033): Cash (exact change) or Check/Money Order payable to the "Burlington Township Police Department" in the amount of $5.00.
- Applications to Purchase a Handgun (E-Permit) (STS-033): Cash (exact change) or Check/Money Order payable to the "Burlington Township Police Department" in the amount of $2.00 per handgun permit.
- Application for a Duplicate Firearms Identification Card (STS-033): There is NO fee.